Plumbing Terms


Single Hole

These faucets require a single hole for installation. Some models may require a larger than std. (1 ¼” diameter) hole to be cut in the countertop surface or sink.

Four-inch Centerset

These faucets are also available in a single handle or two handle model. They require three holes to be drilled with the center of the two outside holes four inches apart. The center hole is for the pop-up rod assembly.

Mini- Widespread

Mini-widespread faucets are sued in a four inch center installation but have the look of a widespread with a  separate spout and two handles.

Eight Inch or Widespread

Widespread facuets feature a separate spout and valves and require three holes to be drilled into the surface. Widespread faucets are generally referred to as a 8” faucets but in reality their spread can be from 6”-12”.

Wall Mounted Faucets

Wall mounted faucets are just that, wall mounted.

Basin Taps

Basin taps faucets have separate spouts for hot and cold water. Water is mixed in the basin and not premixed before it comes out of the spouts.

Bridge Faucets

Bridge or exposed faucets have separate holes for the hot and cold supply lines. Water travels tot eh spout via an exposed finished waterway sometimes referred to as a bridge.  Primarily used in the kitchen.

Note: Make sure you check to the height and projection of the faucet. If someone is putting a medicine cabinet in, you want to make sure the cabinet will clear the faucet. Most sinks come pre-drilled. Be careful and ask questions.


Two Piece Toilets

Two-piece toilets comprise of a tank and a bowl. The tank holds all of the working components and the water reservoir to create the flush.

One Piece Toilets

One-piece toilet offer the consumers the option to buy a low profile style The tank and bowl are one piece and tend to be more expensive than a two piece toilet.

Wall Mounted Toilets

These toilets use a consealed tank that is mount behind the wall using a carrier frame. These attached to the wood stud and can hold up to 880 lbs. These save space and making cleaning the bathroom much easier as the bowl is off the floor.



Also known as a drop-in sink is a sink that has a lip on it. This type of sink can be used with virtually any countertop surface. If the sink has pre-drilled holes you must sell a faucet that will fit the spread on the sink. If it does not have pre-drilled holes makes sure that you leave 2 ½” in front of the sink and at least 2 ½” in back of the sink for the faucet. For example: if the sinks overall size is 15 x 19” then the countertop must be at least 20” deep. 


This sink is mounted under the countertop. This means there is no visible lip. In this type of sink you do not need to worry about which spread lave set to use but you still need to have at least 2 ½” in the back of the sink. With an under mount sink you cannot use tile or Formica as a countertop. The hole that is cut out to accommodate the sink needs to be finished.


These popular sinks sit on top of the counter or are semi recessed common types are copper/metal, glass, tiled, wood  and carved porcelain, hand painted porcelain, and crystal.



Regulates the ratio between the hot and cold water. When something else is turned on/off or flushed the pressure balance valve will shut down the hot/cold water to maintain the ratio between the hot and cold. You will lose some pressure through this process. Anti-scald function Pressure balance valves should NOT be used in multi-outlet systems (using more than one function at a time) Pressure balance valves are good for shower only, shower/tub combo with use of a diverter and shower/tub/hand shower combo with use of a diverter. (the diverter will divert from one function to the next and only one function will occur at a time) Try not to sell the pressure balance valve with volume control built-in If a client wants the pressure balance with volume control built-in they can only use it for single function scenarios Be careful when specifying a pressure balance valve. High-rise buildings sometimes have the water supply on the roof. If this is the case, an end user that lives on the higher floors will have less pressure than that of the people on the lower floors. In these cases, use a Thermostatic system.


Regulates the temperature within a degree or two in either direction. Stays at a constant temperature no matter what else is turned on/off or flushed

Thermostatic valves with volume control can be used in 3 instances:

1. shower only function

2. tub/shower function (with diverter)

 3. tub/shower/hand shower function (with diverter)

Central thermostatic valves are used with wall valves/volume controls when the end user wants more than one function to work at the same time ( 2 shower heads/shower head and hand shower/shower head/body sprays, etc.) this is the valve that should be specified. When either of these thermostatic valves are used the plumber needs to calibrate the valve which is very simple, They just need to read the directions. Not only does the thermostatic valve regulate the temperature but it allows you to regulate the pressure coming out of the function. This is great for children’s bathrooms. You can set the temperature and it will remain constant. The child does not have to keep adjusting the water.